Axle Harmonic Dampers

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Axle Harmonic Dampers
From: Brian Lynfatt <brian.lynfatt@eds.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 07:45:16 -0500
Looking for opinions...

Trying to replace the axle for our Tercel.  I decided to go with a
rebuilt since we might not keep the car more than a year or two. First
they ordered the axle with the wrong CV joint, then it was missing the
nuts and washers, now it's missing the damper. I say we need the damper
but the manager there is telling me that I don't need it because the
axle is already balanced. Told him I'd install it and try it, but it's
been sitting in the box since I got it a week ago. My understanding of
dampers is that it helps to prevent vibration at certain speeds. So the
axle could be balanced, but not at the speed which is where the damper
comes in. Is my thinking correct, or should I stop being so polite and
get a new one ordered or just install the thing already?

Brian
brian.lynfatt@eds.com