Re: Make you own extension cords

To: "Wayne" <w.farrington@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Make you own extension cords
From: Bill Rabel <brabel@dlux.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 17:46:21 -0800
Wayne -

The 12/3 should be great, but you'll often find that 14/3 is perfectly
adequate.

My main suggestion is that rather than buying a spool of cable, simply
stock a number of new cords in various sizes. I can usually get 25, 50,
and 100 foot sizes. There's also some odd sizes like 80 foot, and
day-glo color variations for visibility.

Then, do what I do: With a stock of male and female cord ends, you can
simply cut a cord to the length you want, and install one connector to
get a finished cord. You're left with a second half-finished cord,
ready to cut to length for your next project.

Not only does this cut down the time and cost of the second connector.
You also end up with a more streamlined and weatherproof connector on
the factory-molded end.

> I've had it with extension cords that are 50ft. too long or 2ft. too
> short for
> semi permanent installations.
snip