Re: 12V LED drop light

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Subject: Re: 12V LED drop light
From: Michael Shields <shields@msrl.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 00:18:46 +0000
In article <Pine.BSI.4.02.10212041236271.288-100000@frogger.telerama.com>,
"Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com> wrote:
> A buddy has a 12V LED drop light that just absolutely rocks.  I'd like to
> get one.  His (he's a pro mechanic) cost on the order of $130, which is a
> bit more than I'm willing to pay though.

This is not an unreasonable price.  The LEDs themselves cost a few
dollars each, although they are dropping fast and improving in light
output.  Another problem is that they tend to be directional, so you
need a lot of them if you want to throw light in all directions.
(This is the opposite of fluorescent and incandescent lights, which
are omnidirectional and need reflectors to avoid wasting light.)
Give it another year; they'll be cheaper then.
--
Shields.