Re: Furance fixed, thanks

To: Derek <dereklola@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Furance fixed, thanks
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 00:35:04 -0500
Derek wrote:
> Trevor
>
> After viewing your pix I'm disappointed - with your ingenuity you
> should be able to get at least 2 more, maybe 3 more, cars in there.

   I know, I know, I could, and it's so very tempting. The guy who
helped me bleed the brakes and stack the cars that day reminded me again
and we spent about 10 minutes pacing it all out. Where the Midget is
parked, I could turn the midget sideways, slide the Magnette up there
sideways beside it door handle to door handle, and then get the Magnette
bay as another drive in.

   I'd have to move benches and shelving though, but I've measured it,
it would work. Just visualize lifting the midget up in this pic and
turning it sideways:

http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/photography_pics/trevors_shop_3.jpg

   It would require either careful jacking or a pair of those "car
moving dollies" to slide the cars in sideways though. And the reverse
amount of  work in the spring. And the rust problems associated with the
salty car thawing, freezing, thawing, etc.

   Another option is another hoist. I was thinking a two post hoist
would be make a nice combination... there was a used one for sale around
here but I couldn't bring myself to go see it because I know I'd buy it.
It would work nicely in that front bay though, and you can't argue that
it's a lot cheaper way to park another car inside than building a garage
expansion!

> What happened to your infamous upward sloping garage door rails? Did
> you move house or did you just swap the living room and garage!?

   Heheheh that was the old house. It's only about 2km away, so I see it
occasionally. I don't think the elderly couple that lives there is
really using all that garage headroom I thoughtfully made for them.

   The roof in the new garage is actually six inches lower than the old
house, which really sucks actually. It's enough of a difference that I
can't stack the ZB with any other car, I have to stack two roadsters in
order for it to fit. When I work on the ZB I can only make enough
working room to roll around on a stool, I can't stand up under it.

    Check out the roof clearance above the Miata windshield. (literally,
about 1cm)

http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/photography_pics/trevors_shop_1.jpg

   ...but what saves me is the length of the bay. In the old garage, the
rear hoist posts were RIGHT at the door, they had to be in order to fit
the hoist in. So the sliding door went over the top car to about the
middle, and was in strong danger of hitting it. So much that I unplugged
the garage door opener when I raised certain cars, so my wife wouldn't
accidently open the door from the outside only to hear me scream and
yell and get covered in smashed windshield.

   The new garage is deeper, so the hoist is further forward and the
door doesn't come much past the rear bumper. It's also an invidual door
so I basically don't have to open it until spring, unlike the double
door at the old place which I had to open every time I took out the
garbage or the snow shovels.

   The moral? Build 'em big and tall.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.