Re: Tools Brands (was Re: More questions about measuring

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tools Brands (was Re: More questions about measuring
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 12:11:52 -0800 (PST)
Kobalt is good stuff. So is Blue Point (the snap-on "house brand").
So are Facom and USAG (European brands that are hard to find here,
that go for close to Snap-On prices).

Husky wrenches are surprisingly good. Williams makes a *really* nice
set of screwdrivers and an excellent miniature ratchet handle - better
than any other I've used.

I've got a half-dozen Snap-On tools in my chest: with the exception
of the 1/2" and 9/16" combo wrenches, which I bought because they
feel soooo good in the hand and are the tools I use most, they are
all either specialty items that I couldn't find elsewhere (the
swivel end 12mm and 14mm combo wrenches, or the PosiDrive screw
drivers), or a useful tool that is better than the alternatives
(the 3/8 drive palm ratchet).

The reason to stick with Snap-On or Mac is that you need their
service level (close to immediate replacement with a phone call)
or credit program. Pretty much neither applies for the typical
home mechanic.

But we were talking about measuring tools. I'm quite fond of Starrett.
I also have Lufkin, Mitutoyo (their 8" digital caliper *rocks*), old
Brown & Sharpe, and a handful of "Chinese junk" that is in my
carry-around toolbox. The Chinese stuff is cheap and easily
replaceable, and gets used in situations where things might get
damaged. It doesn't feel quite as good in the hand, but it measures
pretty much indistinguishably from my best Starrett.