Re: Natural Gas heater problem

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Natural Gas heater problem
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 21:59:42 -0700 (MST)
This could be simple.  I just recently dealt with the situation myself.
I was getting tired of standing on a ladder down at the shop preheating
the thermocouple with a propane torch.  After a few minutes in the flame,
it would be hot enough to generate a signal to the controller so the pilot
would stay on.  Since the shop is a rental, I was going to get the landlord
to deal with it.

So saturday I'm at some home improvement place, and decide to look at new
thermocouples.  It sounds like that is your problem.  The thermocouple sits
in the pilot light, and as long as it is above a certain temperature, it
generates a small voltage.  While that voltage is there, the control unit
will keep the gas valve on.  When the voltage goes away, the control unit
shuts of the valve.

Anyway, I'm thinking it will be a matter of finding the proper type of
thermocouple for my unit, spending way too long wrestling the old one out
of the furnace and getting the new one in.  Turns out the store had three
to choose from - 18 inch, 24 inch and 30 inch, all about 5 bucks.  I buy
the 24 inch one, zip to the shop.  It took all of about 2 minutes to pop
the old one of and get the new one in its place. A *whole* lot easier than
I was expecting.

Now the pilot stays on after only about 25 seconds of heating thermocouple
in the pilot flame, and it doesn't shut off in the middle of operation.
No more balancing on the ladder with a hot flame in my hand.  Cool.
Er, I mean, warm.

mjb.