Round bar or trunnion weight dist.?

To: Evolution Discussion <evolution-discussions@egroups.com>, cp@twingles.com,
Subject: Round bar or trunnion weight dist.?
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 14:37:01 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

So in looking at my weight distributing and sway control options, it seems
like I need to pick either round bar or trunnion weight distribution and
friction or dual cam sway control.

Seems like folks with the friction sway control like it and its cheaper,
so that seems to be a good way to go.  Seems like the weight distributing
hitches all have at least one friction sway control mount, with Hidden
Hitch having one on either side.  Is having the option for two important
or will one do the job?

However, I can't find much on the differences between trunnion and round
bar weight distribution.  Round bar is cheaper, but only gets as high as a
1,000/10,000 rating which trunnion goes up to 1,200/12,000 and beyond.
One site I saw suggested that Round bar was the way to go with vehicles
that had plenty of ground clearance in the rear, Trunnion otherwise.  It
seems like the round bar is simpler and cheaper, so I'm leaning towards
that.

All this is for a '98 C2500HD fullsize chevy truck and a 24' enclosed
trailer that'll never weigh more than 10k lbs loaded, typically more like
6k to 7k lbs.

Thanks!

Mark