Re: Light question

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Light question
From: "TONY CLARK" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 15:18:14 -0600
Gordon wrote:

> Before I made the commitment to 8 foot lights, I'd look at the replacement
> cost of the tubes in your area.  Locally, I can buy the 4 foot variety at
> significantly less than 1/2 the cost of the 8 footers.  With the tubes
> lasting about 2 years, the savings in using the shorter, more common tubes
> is a consideration.

I don't know if this is any sort of typical, but I get a LOT of mileage out on
my 8 foot tubes.  I installed 6 dual tube fixtures with 12 tubes eighteen years
ago in my 30 x 60 windowless shop.   I've only replaced 5 or 6 tubes.  I guess
that they burn about 40 - 50 hours a month.  The light they provide is not
really sufficient for my aging eyes  .  .  I have to supplement with additional
light at various work areas.

Tony