Re: concrete floor

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: concrete floor
From: "John Gates" <jgates@tx3.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 11:43:59 -0800
I put a 36' X 48', 4 inch thick slab in my old shed.  Put down poly sheet
underneath, since it's a little wet around here, and used  fiberglass
reinforcement.  They add it to the mix in the truck, and added a hundred
bucks or so, but then I didn't by any steel of any kind (the concrete guys
usually mash it to the bottom anyhow).  3 or 4 years, a 6.4 earthquake, 0 to
100 degrees, floor jacks, jack stands, engine hoists, cars, trailers, etc,
and no visible cracks.  My structural guy says it has millions of cracks,
the fiber just keeps them so small you can't see them.  Concrete always
cracks, it is part of the guarantee.  Reinforcement, steel or other, just
keeps it all together.  Forget the floor drain, get a squeegee, and unless
you're driving wet cars in and need the drainage, make it as flat as you
can.  A nice flat floor comes in handy.  If you heat this area, the
suggested perimeter insulation is a good idea.

John Gates
Enumclaw, WA