RE: Bent spindle? (was Re: Drill Press recommendations?)

To: dhl@chelseamsl.com, ryoung@navcomtech.com
Subject: RE: Bent spindle? (was Re: Drill Press recommendations?)
From: jmark.vanscoter@amd.com
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 16:21:46 -0600
The drill is not a reliable indicator. At least put a piece of rod stock
(straight cold rolled or better) in the chuck and check it them.

Right now you have potential run-out from the:
1. drill bit
2. chuck
3. chuck taper
4. spindle taper
3. spindle

To be more exact, you will need to buy a dial indicator. If you do not think
you really need a dial indicator, then you should not be worrying about this
run-out. Seriously, you have to find the cause to fix the problem.

Mark V.S. in Austin, TX