RE: Drill Presses, #2

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Drill Presses, #2
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 11:18:57 -0800
> Seems like the "standard" home shop floor drill press is 3/4 hp, 17"
> swing, around $300 or a bit less.  Would one of those do whatever I'd
> need?  In particular, is 3/4 hp plenty, or would more hp be better?
>
> I'm using it primarily for metal (Steel & AL) drilling, with the
> occasional metal holesaw use to make rollcage mounts, etc.

Mark, I have one of those generic chinese 17" presses (mine came from Enco,
currently on sale for $250, 22" version is $450), it's pretty much done
everything I expect a drill press to do (including be crappy at milling).
Power has been more than adequate for my modest needs, but the heaviest cut
I can remember offhand was a 2" hole saw through 1/2" mild steel plate.  I
generally leave the belts loose, just because I would rather it slip if
something binds.

> Related to this a bit...  Do they make single phase 110 vac mills that are
> worth anything? Should I be looking at one of those instead?

I suppose it really boils down to whether this is a hobby, or a profession.
My 110v mill will cut plenty fast for my tastes, all it takes is a heavy
hand on the feed to turn chips blue.  I wouldn't consider it a replacement
for a drill press, tho.

Randall