Re: Manual tire machines

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Manual tire machines
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 07:04:45 -0400
Myself and a number of people I know (and even race with on occassion)
purchased the manual tire changer from Harbor Freight when it was on
sale for $49.  It works just fine at both breaking the beads and running
the tires on and off the rims.  Rim size isn't a problem.  Tire profile
can be.  The lower the profile the skinnier the sidewall and the more
difficult it is to remove and mount the tire.  50 series aren't a
problem, but I wouldn't care to try a 20 series on it.

Harbor Freight has the manual tire changer on sale again right now,
with free shipping I believe.

I also have a separate old manual bead buster that I do not use.  The
part that presses against the bead is too wide to work effectively.  It
tries to take off far too much of the bead at the same time to be
effective.

>>> "Wayne" <w.farrington@verizon.net> 09/18/02 05:06PM >>>

I am getting tired of paying the local tire guy to swap my race tires
around
all the time. Not to mention the hassle factor of yarding the
wheels/tires too
and from the tire shop.

<snip>

So, I was wondering if any of you had experience with manual tire bead
busters? I know enough about tire changing to know that I would not
want to
change a tire entirely manually. But if the air machine will handle
the
mount/dismount of the tire maybe I could get a manual bead buster and
make it
worth the effort?
BTW, I do have the capability to balance the wheel/tires as well.