RE: shop lighting.

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: shop lighting.
From: "John Gates" <jgates@tx3.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 13:39:00 -0700
Use instant start electronic ballasts and T8 lamps.  No flicker, no hum, min
start temps around 0 F.  Figure 1.5 to 2 watts a square foot and you'll have
lots of high quality light.  Figure 60 watts for a 2 lamp, 4 foot fixture.
The standard T12 (the number is the diameter in 8th of an inch) with
magnetic ballasts don't like to start much below 50, and use 50% more energy
for lower quality light.  There are a number of outfits that sell via the
internet, and your local friendly electrical supply house will sell anything
for the right price.  Cost Less Lighting has surface mount strip lighting on
line at:

http://www.costlesslighting.com/acatalog/Catalog_Channels_Strips_1.html
Their minimum order is $300, maybe some others around with no minimum.

Some info on lamps and prices at:

http://www.amerilamp.com/fluorHome.htm

no connection, etc.    Look for the F32 lamp, that'll be the T8, and the
electronic ballast.  2 lamp fixtures are listed for around 26 bucks without
the lamps, so throw in another 6 or 8 bucks there.  The HO units are high
output, and I think they'll start even colder, and there is a cold temp
lamp, but not in T8 that I know of.  HOs have about half the life of the
T8s.  8' T8s are available, but I have heard they are a little flexible and
could fall out.  8 footers are always a pain in the behind to haul home.
Whatever, the electronic, instant start ballast is the way to go.

John Gates
Enumclaw, WA