RE: Another 220v question

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Another 220v question
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 12:33:27 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

> Generally the neutral and safety ground are tied together at the power
> entrance, but this is the only place where they should be tied together.
> Any exposed conductive part (like the box on your welder and dryer, or the
> water in your spa) should be tied to the safety ground, and not to neutral.
> This way, if the neutral should open, you still won't be exposed to line
> voltage.

So if you have a single outlet run from the box to the outlet, what's the
difference between neutral and safety?  Seems like they're both tied to
the same thing at the box...  I.e. why can't you run one wire from box to
the outlet and make it both neutral & safety, with another wire the hot
wire?

I realize "because its not code, dummy" is a perfectly good reason not to
do it, I was just curious as to the reasoning behind the code...

Mark