washers

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: washers
From: "Eric" <eric@megageek.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 14:35:19 -0400
Ken asks...

>The question: do dishwashers actually use more water than hand washing
the same dishes?

As a "somewhat" environmentalist,  I can answer this questions, 100%,
absolutely, positively, no doubt...

Depends!  8>)

Seriously, it depends on how you wash dishes by hand.  In many cases, it
uses LESS water to use an efficient dish washer.

What it comes down to...

How many dishes and pots and pans do you wash?  (the more you do at a
time, the more washing by hand wastes)
Do you fill up the sink with soapy water?
Do you let the water run when you scrub dishes?

And, if you get a dishwasher, will you prerinse the dishes? (in some
washers, this is totally unnecessary)
Will to only run it with a somewhat to full load?

For me, I live alone.  at night, after I'm done eating, I do the "dish" (I
normally only have one to wash) by hand. a dishwasher is only used for
auto parts.  (maybe that's why I'm single?)

But my sister has 2 kids and a husband.  She washes a full load of dishes
a night.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

Inch