House foundation

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: House foundation
From: "Wayne" <w.farrington@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 07:47:00 -0700
I have a single level rambler style house that utilizes the traditional
perimeter foundation with a crawl space under the house. The floor joists are
supported by 4x4's which set on top of round concrete pads. These pads are
maybe 2.5 feet in dia. and maybe 8-10" thick. The ground has settled in spots
under some of these pads. Resulting in the 4x4 "hanging" in the air with no
support. Many of the pads no longer sit level on top of the soil. The house is
25 years old and the crawl space has always been bone dry, and has the vapor
barrier installed. I live in WA state where freezing is "generally" not an
issue.

This of course is not good and has resulted in some difficult to open interior
doors and a bouncing floor in some areas. In the past I have been shimming up
the space between the bottom of the 4x4 and pad with some sloped wood stock
shims. This sort of works but is probably not the accepted method of repair,
and does not seem like a long term fix. One of the fall/winter projects on my
list is to go through the crawl space and properly repair all these skewed
pads and 4x4's. What is the proper method of doing this job? I would like a
fix that is bullet proof as I plan on staying in this house for quite awhile.

I realize this is off topic for this list. But was wondering if any of you
have experience with this, or could point me towards some other home
improvement type boards. Where I might garner some info on this subject.

Thanks
Wayne