RE: Upgrading power for new garage

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Upgrading power for new garage
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 14:22:43 -0700
> The rest of the stuff listed is really minimal. It would be
> difficult to use
> a continuous 70 AMP for everything running at once.
>
> $800 buys quite a few tools. . .
>
> Mark V.S. in Austin, TX
>
> P.S. AC, lift, compressor are all 15 amp @110V or less, unless
> you are talking commercial heavy duty equipment.

I suppose it's a question of how one defines 'commercial heavy duty', but my
current compressor draws some 25 amps @ 110 while starting.  It's running
current is only around 15 amps, but that means you need a 20 amp service for
it.  I was just admiring the IR compressor I would like to have in my garage
... 28 amp @ 220v running ('only' 5hp).

Just the lighting in my garage draws almost 15 @ 110 ... and anything more
than just a modest window AC unit will draw more than 15 @ 110.  12,000 BTU
is not a large AC unit, but it's about all you can get through an ordinary
110v outlet.

Randall