Re: deer

To: Phil Ethier <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: Re: deer
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 13:43:17 -0700
On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 11:24:15PM -0500, Phil Ethier wrote:

> > I don't think that they're smart enough to know when I'm around
>
> Thanks.  I needed a good laugh after a hard day.  Trouble is, It's pretty
> late, and I might have trouble sleeping after laughing this hard.
>
> A mule deer can smell as well as a dog and has vision like you using
> binoculars.

I meant they're not smart enough to know what time of day I
am on the property (unlke my cats who identify the sound of the garage door
with me coming home and feeding them).  I don't think the deer identify me
driving home with "oh shit he's home now, better go hide".
In fact I don't think they really understand that vehicles contain
humans, but that's a different issue...

I've stalked enough deer to know that they pay pretty
good attention to whats around.  But I have also gotten pretty
close to them, close enough to be concerned that they'd attack
me when they did notice me.  At that point I just say "hey, hows
it going" and they run off.

Eric