Re[2]: Slightly off-topic question

To: Richard Welty <rwelty@suespammers.org>
Subject: Re[2]: Slightly off-topic question
From: dms@scheidt.chem.nd.edu
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 18:36:43 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 23 Jun 2002, Richard Welty wrote:

> what will happen is that you will strengthen part of the system, but create
> substantially higher loads at the ends of the sistering joists. the end
> result will be to create a new break at this point.

Maybe, maybe not.  I'm not clear on whether the break is from the top of the
joist or from the bottom.  If it's from the bottom, it's probably a failure
due to too much tension on the bottom of the beam.  Wood is much less strong
in tension than it is in compression, by a factor of 10 or so, so if that's
the cause of the failure, sistered beams that don't run the entire length may
be more than stron enough to prevent a failure.  It's better to make them run
the whole length, particularly if you're not going to actually work out what
the stresses are.