Re: MTBE (was Re: under the hood...)

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MTBE (was Re: under the hood...)
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 08:04:05 -0700
On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 07:17:41AM -0700, Randall Young wrote:

> I just wish they'd admit they were wrong to begin with, 'oxygenated' fuel on
> the whole causes more pollution, not less !

The government admit that it made a mistake?  Right!

> Actually, the CARB has tacitly admitted this, they have recommended dropping
> the oxygenate altogether.  The EPA seems to be insisting that we burn either
> MTBE or ethanol so the corn growers can get rich;

Actually its so ADM can get rich.  The non-conglomerate corn growers
don't get much out of it.  ADM makes most of the ethanol for gas, and
they have a lot of lobbyists.  Additionally, the Republicans are
heavily courting the farm states for votes in the next election.
Which is why they just rammed through the largest farm welfare bill
in the history of the world... most of which goes to conglomerates
like ADM (who, after all, pay the politicians bills) and little
goes to the actual family farmer that's supposed to be the
beneficiary.

> and I understand the
> Canadians have filed a lawsuit under NAFTA to force us to continue burning
> MTBE.  Something is very wrong when a "free trade agreement" means we have
> to poison ourselves so some company can get rich selling us the poison ...

These agreements are just another avenue for companies to "game the system"
in the Enron parlance.

Apologies for the non-shop content.

Eric