Pit stops and single nut wheels (was RE: Under the hood

To: "Mullen, Tim" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>, <dms@scheidt.chem.nd.edu>,
Subject: Pit stops and single nut wheels (was RE: Under the hood
From: "Keith Kaplan" <keithka@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 10:46:54 -0700
Nope, they have to put the gun on each nut.  Otherwise it wouldn't look
like something you and your buddies could practice on your own Taurus,
which after all is exactly like the one on the track.

Same reason why onboard air jacks are illegal in NASCAR.  Seeing a guy
go over the wall carrying what looks like the same floor jack that
everyone has at home makes the fans enjoy the pit stops more.  Nevermind
that it's a $1500 titanium/aluminum gadget that takes 3 pumps (or less)
to go full height, and that the air guns are _not_ the same ones they
sell at Home Depot for $50.  If my buddies want to practice an F1 pit
stop, well, for starters, I don't know if I have that many friends,
since it seems to take at least 50 people to carry out an F1 stop. <g>

I didn't mean to question the advantage of a single lug over several.  I
was just quibbling over the method of tightening the single nut.

I also like the various safety pin setups for single nut wheels.  Some
Le Mans cars have little spring out tabs in the hub, and the socket is
shaped so it pushes the tabs in as it grabs the nut.  F1 guys seem to
pull a knob in the hub after they put the new nut on.  It doesn't look
like they're just pulling out one of the spring wire style locks.  If
anyone can shed light on how that system works, please do.

But none of them smack the nuts with a hammer anymore.