RE: polishing/waxing a car with orbital waxer..

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: polishing/waxing a car with orbital waxer..
From: "Mullen, Tim" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 16:09:54 -0400
First, you can use the three step process (or more), or use a cleaner
wax.

For the three step process:
Step one, you use a "fine cut cleaner" - this is slightly abrasive
and cleans the surface and removes "oxidation".  Step two is the
Glaze - still slightly abrasive, but it polishes the surface and
smoothes and shines it.  Step three is to use a *non-cleaner* wax.
You've already cleaned and polished the surface in steps one and
two - now you just need to use pure wax to seal and protect the
surface.

You can often just apply new wax as necessary, skipping steps
one & two, or just skipping step one, depending on how bad the
surface/shine is...

For the cleaner wax, it's one step.  You rub on the cleaner/wax
and rub it off.  The advantage is that it's fast.  The disadvantage
is that you are rubbing the abrasive containing wax on the car
every time.  Each time you use the abrasives, you are removing a
bit of paint from the car.

I tend to use the cleaner wax on the "utility" cars, and the three
step process on the car I cars about as it protects somewhat better,
and will help to preserve the paint for longer...

As to which bonnets to use, on the machine polisher -
I like the foam pads, but they don't last long for the cost.
Basically, I use a foam or "paper" pad to apply the cleaner/glaze/wax,
and the terry cloth bonnets to remove the stuff.  I also have
the "wool" buffing/polishing bonnets, but I've heard that they
can actually put fine scratches in the surface - don't know if
it's true, but I never actually use them.

Now all that said, I don't always use the electric polisher that
much.  My cars seem to have edges and curves and such that make
it hard fit the machine to the surface, so I still do a lot by hand...

Of course I could be all wrong about the above stuff too - it's just
how I do it.

By the way, I like Maguire's "professional" stuff (the stuff they
sell at Wal-Mart is usually the cleaner/wax.  I also like Mother's,
but again that is usually the cleaner/wax in the chain stores  Both
brands sell the "good stuff" (no cleaner in the wax - the 3 step
process).  You usually find the good stuff at the auto part
stores (and the price is nearly the same for the "professional"
or regular stuff)...

Tim Mullen