Polishing/waxing a car using an orbital buffer?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Polishing/waxing a car using an orbital buffer?
From: Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing <mikel@ichips.intel.com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 11:12:27 -0700
Okay, this is going to seem inanely stupid, but please bear with me....  How
does one
use an orbital buffer to detail a car?

A little history:  I've always waxed our cars by hand.  Once a year, I get
anal, and
polish the cars with some 3M glaze, and then follow it with a cleaner wax, and
then finally
pure wax.  By the end of the day, I'm totally beat.  Well, my wife took pity,
gave me a 10"
orbital buffer/detail kit for Xmas.  She also bought packages of probably every
type of
buffer pad available.  I'd love to use it this weekend, but heck if I know
what's appropriate...

So, I have a foam pad, a velour-looking pad, several terry cloth ones, and some
tyvek
looking ones (I don't know how to describe them; they look like those
disposable blue
shop "paper" towels, but much smoother.  I also have some glaze ("fine cut
cleaner"),
liquid cleaner-wax, paste cleaner-wax, pure caranuba wax, and zymol polish.
Can someone
tell me which pad I'm supposed to use to apply which product, which pad to
remove the
product, and roughly what order they should be used?  Anything I should be
careful of
so I don't kill the paint?

I told you this would be dumb....  =8^)

Thanks,