McMaster (wasRe: Grainger)

To: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Subject: McMaster (wasRe: Grainger)
From: Douglas Shook <shook@usc.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 20:32:06 -0700
Randall Young wrote:

-snip-

> McMaster Carr offers a similar solvent, but not the Agitene brand.

Hi Randall,

McMaster does not show the Gray-Mills Super-Agitene
name in the catalogue, but their "Solvent Plus Lanolin"
(part #32291 @$49.50 /5 gal) is Gray-Mills
Super-Agitene.  This is where I bought it five or six
years ago.

When you call in the order, you can ask "Is this
Super-Agitene?", and they will say yes.

For some reason McMaster, does not like to show the
manufacturer for many items, and even if you ask "What
manufacture is it?", they are reluctant to tell you.

If you come right out and ask them. "Is this drill made
by Milwaukee?" they will confirm it, but they won't
volunteer the names. I asked them about this and they
said something about being able to supply products to a
certain spec regardless of the manufacturer.

McMaster is my all-time favorite supplier, though.  I
actually gave away my Grainger and MSC catalogues, and
just use McMaster now.

It helps that they have a local outlet here in Los
Angeles, so they will do deliveries to the house on the
same day you call in the order, and charge just a few
dollars for the deliver (much cheaper than what UPS
charges).

In fact, if I call in an order before 9:00 am, they
will deliver before 1:00 pm.  If I call it in by 1:00,
they will deliver by 5:00 pm.  Pretty amazing service,
and they always have the products I have ordered in
stock -- I never have had a back-order with them.

doug
los angeles