Re: was Parts wash, now dispose/repair

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: was Parts wash, now dispose/repair
From: LBC286@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 13:46:14 EDT
In a message dated 4/25/02 12:54:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time, yd3@nvc.net
writes:

> The same is true of the mower's engine.  A proper rebuild costs more
> than a new one from Harbor Freight.

- - - - - - - - - - -

So now we're talking about lawn mowers!  My father gave me a mower that he
bought in '93.  He only used it a coupla times, so the carb was gunked solid.
 I cleaned it out and got the throttle to move again, but I couldn't figure
out how to reconnect the throttle linkage that fell off when I took the carb
off.  The "turtle/rabbit" lever didn't seem to do anything.  The throttle
sits under that lever, and somehow connects to the governor lever with two
wires and a spring.  (BTW, this is a Tecumseh (sp?) engine on a Roper (wasn't
he on TV?) mower, all labeled as Craftsman Eager 1.)

I threw away the spring and one wire, hooked the longer wire from the
throttle to the governor, and bought a $5 lawn mower speed control cable from
Home Depot, which I connected to the throttle plate and mounted on the
handle.  Now I have control of the engine speed while I am mowing, instead of
having to get someone else to hold the dead-man switch while I reach down to
move the "turtle/rabbit" lever.  (Are people so STUPID that they reach under
a running mower, requiring a dead-man switch for "consumer protection"?)

Before I fixed this thing I went on www.partsdirect.com and checked out the
cost of a new engine.  $185.00!!!!!  Sears had basically the same mower,
brand new, on sale for $139.

Getting down off my high horse...

Allen Hefner
Philly Region SCCA Rally Steward