Floor jack leakdown

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Floor jack leakdown
From: "TONY CLARK" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 19:03:01 -0500
My Walker 1 1/2 ton floor jack gradually began to leak down while under load . .
. First, it would just ease down and later began to drop pretty quickly . . .
I'd checked the oil and all of that and started to dig in the book to find where
to order a seal kit when I found some interesting troubleshooting:

"JACK WILL NOT HOLD LOAD:  The valves may not be closing.  Lower the lifting arm
and close the release valve.  Place one foot on a front wheel and raise the
lifting arm to its full height by hand.  Open the release valve to lower the
lifting arm.  The jack should now operate properly."

Fixed the sucker!  It's been holding the heavy end of an  F150 up for an hour .
.

This may be a ":Walker" fix but I'd probably try it on another brand if I had a
problem.

Tony