Re: Drill Press Run-out

To: "John Viviani" <geeno@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: Drill Press Run-out
From: mporter@zianet.com
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 01:16:58 GMT
John Viviani writes:

> If you need to make more
> precise holes that is why god made mills. Drill presses are made to make
> holes, Mills are made to make precise things including holes.

I agree that milling machine precision is not to be expected from a drill
press.

However, to help toward some sort of solution, there might be a couple of
ways to determine if the drill press can be used for this particular job.

The first thing to do is to determine if the "wobble" is due to a slightly
bent drill chuck arbor, which would cause a "hard" eccentricity, or if the
drill chuck or spindle is just loose, causing a "soft" eccentricity, such
as might happen with sloppy bearings or bushings carrying the spindle.

If the former, I would not suggest trying to ream bushings with it, since
the reamer will be inclined to follow that eccentric, which would likely
ruin the bushing. If the latter, the answer might be a piloted bushing
reamer.

All that said, if these are typical bronze bushes, in a standard size, a
piloted hand reamer would do just fine, and should be available at either a
good automotive tool supply store or through a machine tool supplier.

The reamer required should have a pilot end which snugly fits the bush as
installed and is as long or longer than the length of the bush, and a
cutter diameter equal to the shaft or pin diameter going into the bush,
plus the necessary running clearance. If the bushes are used in in-line
pairs, it's helpful to obtain a reamer with a pilot end long enough to
reach both bushes. That ensures that the as-reamed alignment of the pair
will be correct.

Cheers.