Re: Suburban brakes

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, <mbarre@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Suburban brakes
From: "John Viviani" <geeno@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 18:25:56 -0500
This may be a problem as I quit working on new cars (except my own around
96) and went on to restoring older cars for a living this may be a bit
dated. But I know GM issused a Tech Service bulleten a few yrs back on their
cars with ABS. This delt with the ABS and they way pads were replaced, it
seems that the GM ABS system uses a few deris screens in the lines to help
pervent contaminates from entering the system and if when changing pads you
force fluid back through the system  (ie when compressing the piston so the
new pad will fit) instead of allowing the fluid to escape the bleeder hole
you can clog or dislodge this screen and cause improper pedal pressure
during application or release. The other longshot problem is I bet that the
brake fluid has never been changed in the truck, with ABS this should be
done every two yrs to prevent corrosion and deteriation of the ABS control
valves and while this also doesn't happen often it can occurr. This may be a
more likly possiblity as it seems to be effecting both front wheels (even
though you probally have a three channel system so each front has its own
circuit in the ABS). Keep in mind these are remote possiblities but
possibilities.

First I would check to make sure all the keeper springs and other small
easily loseable parts are still there. Then make sure your wife is left foot
braking, that the floor mat is effecting the brake pedal, the pedal return
spring is in good shape, if all is okay then I would go with the other
response first in checking the master, but then again how are the rears
wearing (drums?).

Gino
2003 Mini Cooper S(July delivery)-01 Dodge Ram Sherrod Conversion Van-96
Miata(for sale)-95 Wrangler-79 LiL Red Truck(for sale)-62 Chrysler Newport
(19K org miles)- ?? Lotus 7 Replica

> On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 08:34:33PM +0000, mbarre@juno.com wrote:
> >
> >The car threads seem to get the list active, so here goes another one:
My wife's 96 Suburban is eating front brake pads! At first I thought it was
a sticky caliper and replaced the L front, but they both seem to wear
extreemely fast (< 10K miles) w/out regard to type pad.  The front wheels
usually seem a little hot so now I am wondering if something is keeping
slight pressure on the front brakes.  I have heard of older British cars
having deteriorated hoses that swelland act like valves, holding pressure on
the brakes but wouldn't expect that on such a recent vehicle. Any known
problems with Chevy master cylinder or ABS faults that keep pressure on the
system?