RE: regular wood vs. plywood

To: "Steve Budde" <super_racenut@juno.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: regular wood vs. plywood
From: "Mullen, Tim" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 15:49:19 -0500
Steve Budde [mailto:super_racenut@juno.com] wrote:

> Is there a formula for the strength of plywood vs. regular wood??  I
have
> to replace a side rail of my waterbed.  The current wood beam is 1.5"
> wide and 9" tall at 8' long.  Since I have to replace one, I figured I
> might as well replace the whole box as it is over 15 years old.  I
> figured that if I use plywood I can build a lighter box with the same
> strength as the current one, but can I and what size boards will I
need?

I would imagine that you wouldn't save enough weight to make a
difference.  It's the water in the bed that's heavy, the frame is
nothing in comparison. Then there's the "how do you trim the edge
so it looks good" problem, making sure there's no splinters, etc...

Then there's the fact that you need to attach the side rails to each
other with enough screw length to hold against the considerable force
that 300 plus gallons of water (around 1,800 lbs.) is exerting trying
to push the sides apart.  I suspect that less than the 1.5 inch
thickness of the standard board is about right...

Additionally, if you made the sides from 3/4 inch plywood, it would hurt

like heck to sit on the edge of the bed...   =8-)

Tim Mullen - why yes, I do still have a water bed...