Re: Auto Transport Trailer Tires

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Auto Transport Trailer Tires
From: Mike Sloane <msloane@att.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 05:35:33 -0500
There is a good reason why you should use trailer rated tires vs. passenger
tires: the trailer tires are much more resistant to lateral motion, so they are
less likely to sway. Also, the tread is designed differently, as traction is
not
an issue, but long life and straight tracking are. There are a bunch of other
differences, but the first above is the most important.

Try Tucker Tire <http://www.tuckertire.com/> if you cannot locate the right
ones
locally. His prices, even with shipping, are usually competitive. (I am a happy
customer but have no other connection with Tucker.)

Mike

David Cole wrote:

> Since you are buying new tires get a radial trailer tire.  They will cost a
> little more than the same size car tire, but the weight rating will be
> higher.  Trailer tires are worth it.  My current trailer has radial car
> tires on it.  They were on it when  I bought it, but they are almost due
> for replacement.  I will get the trailer tires for sure.
>
> I do have my trailer tires balanced, it's only a couple bucks extra over
> the mounting and it makes for a smoother tow.
>
> Later,
>
> David Cole
>
> At 10:56 PM 3/10/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>

>>I have a 16 foot auto transport trailer.  The original tires are looking a
>>bit dry rotted, so I think it is time for them to be replaced.  The tires
>>on there now are P215/75B14, Regul brand, bias belted (not radial) with a
>>rating of 1664lbs each.  The P means these are passenger tires, not ST
>>"special trailer" tires.  The advice I have heard so far is to stick with
>>non-radials, and go with special trailer tires.
>>
>>Question 1:  Does anyone have any other advice on this subject?
>>
>>Question 2:  The wheels are not currently balanced.  Is this normal for a
>>trailer of this type?
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>-Steve Trovato
>>trovato@computer.net

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
(msloane@att.net)
<http://www.geocities.com/mikesloane>

"For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve
the quality of life, please press 3." --Alice Kahn