Compressor ratings

To: <Shop-Talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Compressor ratings
From: <ken.landaiche@nokia.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 14:47:41 -0800
I burned out my tiny compressor this winter by running it continuously one day.
It made lots of impressive smoke. So now I'm shopping for a two stage unit
(that can run at 100% duty cycle!) and am faced with the decision about how
much air I need for my home shop.

I was in one tool store, looking at pad sanders with ~15-20 SCFM (all at 90
PSI) needs. Then the store down the street showed me a couple of facts I don't
understand. The first was a sheet of SCFM requirements for various air tools,
including sanders, all with air needs around 4-7 SCFM. The second fact was that
the SCFM spec for a tool was for 25% use: a 5 SCFM sander would need a 20 CFM
compressor.

So what is the story about CFM and SCFM and sizing compressors to tools?

Here's a link that defines SCFM but doesn't quite answer my question.

http://www.cleandryair.com/scfm_vs__icfm_vs__acfm.htm

Thanks, ALL

Ken Landaiche