Re: Electronic pest control

To: Shop talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Electronic pest control
From: Mike Sloane <msloane@att.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 07:01:31 -0500
The county mosquito commission that I chair bought a bunch of them to try with
mosquitoes, and they did absolutely nothing. I suppose you might have better
luck with some other kinds of insects, but I doubt it. Most of the damage to
paper and cardboard in my barn is caused by mice, not insects. They even made
the start of a nest in the open part of a 3" 3-ring binder and ate the back
edge
of an I&T manual (but ignored the OEM manual!). Poison bait pellets liberally
placed in dark corners seems to have helped a lot in recent years, but I still
have to dispose of surprise carcasses (as when I reach for something in a
drawer
and come upon one). Aside from the damage they do, I am really more concerned
about the deer ticks they carry and the potential for Lyme disease, although
the
guinea fowl I have around seem to have reduced that threat considerably.

Mike

Bill Barnett wrote:

> Do those things really work?
>
> I have a lot of boxes of old car parts, etc. in my garage that appear
> to be slowly eaten away by silverfish and whatever.  I got into some
> last weekend that hadn't been touched in 15 years and they
> disintegrated when moved.  I'll rebox and organize everything but
> would like a permanent solution.
>
> I've seen these ultrasound devices advertised from $10 to $40.
> Plugging a couple in would seem a simple solution.  Any one with any
> experience in this area?
>
> TIA
>
> Bill
> Santa Ana, CA

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
(msloane@att.net)
<http://www.geocities.com/mikesloane>

"For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve
the quality of life, please press 3." --Alice Kahn