Questions on Air line plumbing (NOT PVC)

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Questions on Air line plumbing (NOT PVC)
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 14:19:38 -0800
   Ok, I need to finally finish my shop air line plumbing, I got my new
compressor almost 6 months ago now and I am tired of plugging in the hose
to the compressor outlet.

    I went to the TIP site for their ideas on air plumbing and what I am
going to do is use copper pipe instead of black iron.  My compressor is in
another room attached to the garage and it would be a tremendous pain to
plumb it with iron pipe, lots little nipples with corners here and there,
besides I already have the copper pipe left over.  It is type L which is
the medium wall thickness, should I go buy type K ? I hope not, I have LOTS
of type L.  No, I wont go to PVC and I don't want to start that discussion
again but in the past it has been decided that Copper was ok for air line.

   Should I put a regulator at the compressor to control all the outlets (
this is the way my old compressor was rigged up and while it was a pain to
have to go to the compressor and crank up/down the pressure, it did work
)  or should I plug in the air line directly to the compressor with a 1
foot flex line for vibration of course and put the full 175psi into the
line ?  Doing this means buying more regulators but might be worth
it.  Should I keep a regulator at the compressor and limit the line
pressure to 125psi. and then regulate down more at each outlet ? if I limit
the pressure to 125psi and then put regulators at the outlets anyway, i get
no financial gain from not putting in the full 175psi since I still have to
buy regulators so why should I not put the 175psi into the pipe.

   Since I am concerned about heat at the compressor end of the air
lines,  I will be silver soldering the thing together.  I have done lots
and I mean lots of sweating pipes together with plain old solder, this will
be my first time silver soldering, any hints ? gotchas ?

        Lots of questions,eh ?
        mike

~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing and  ~~~ .oooO  Oooo.  ~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Rambour                                   (    )  (     )
Bug Writer er...Programmer                \   )   (   /
      mikey@b2systems.com                  \_)  (_/