Shop Heating

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net, gasket.works@gte.net
Subject: Shop Heating
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 17:50:25 -0800
   Since many people asked for info on the cost of heating my shop, I
thought I would reply here...Hit that delete key if not interested...

   I purchased a Hot-Dawg ( http://www.hot-dawg.com/Hot-Dawg.htm )
60,000BTU heater because it was the most highly recommended by this list (6
replies, 3 of which suggested this heater ) and also my contractor
recommended it.  I had 4 quotes on the unit, first one was $722, 2 of them
in the $640 range and one at $474.  Ridiculously huge range of prices in my
opinion.

   Installation was pretty close for all 4 quotes, $250-300 mostly because
I had to run a gas line out to the garage.  I ended up making a deal with
the contractor, where I climbed up in the attic and did all the measuring,
bought the pipe/parts ahead of time and he did the gas part of the
installation.  I purchased everything in advance and he just came out and I
played the shop grunt doing the dirty work.  He had a threading machine and
the knowledge for the gas part, which made me feel better.  I did check for
leaks after he left but there were none and there would have been if I had
done it.  He spent about 1 hour crawling around and cutting the old line,
threading, and putting in a T and running the line.  I did all the other
installation, electrical, thermostat, hanging of the unit, etc.

   So here is the cost.
   $474.40 Heater
   $  63.12 Plumbing parts, lines, t's, elbows, etc.
   $  59.85 Venting pipes, flashing, etc.
   $  50.00 labor
   Total, $647.37

   Not bad and it works, I was out there until 1:30 AM this morning nice
and cozy at about 65degrees, the garage was in the mid to high 40's the 2
previous nights.  With the outside temp in the high 40's, keeping the
garage at 65 the heater came on twice an hour for about 5 minutes each
time, during the day when it was 57 degrees outside the heater came on only
once an hour.  65degrees seems like a good temp, a light sweater/jacket
will keep me warm and the heater is not coming on too often keeping the gas
costs down.

   Like my wife says, I sure am building myself a very nice doghouse :)

        mike

~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing and  ~~~ .oooO  Oooo.  ~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Rambour                                   (    )  (     )
Bug Writer er...Programmer                \   )   (   /
      mikey@b2systems.com                  \_)  (_/