RE: Tool 1, User 0 ("nut plate" gun)

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tool 1, User 0 ("nut plate" gun)
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 17:55:06 -0800
Kent :

I've used something very similar, except it was just a kit of mandrels and
'Rivet Nuts' to use with an ordinary 'Pop Rivet' tool.  Unfortunately (for
you) I've never had the problem you describe.  It does take a good deal more
force to set the threaded inserts, and the shank of the mandrel where the
rivet tool grabs it eventually gets chewed up beyond use, but I've never
stripped an insert.  Is there any chance you're using an 8-32 rivet, with a
6-32 mandrel ?

I've seen something similar in steel, but using a bolt to swage it into
place.  Check out
http://www.mcmaster.com/
and click on 'Rivet studs and nuts' under 'Fastening and Sealing'.  MMC
isn't the cheapest around, but they do have the stuff, and there's no
minimum order.

BTW the aluminum has survived for many years of holding the grille of my
TR3A in place.  It even survived some a**hole backing into the car in a
parking lot, although the grille was a loss.

Randall