shear strength definition

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: shear strength definition
From: JNiolon@uss.com
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 13:25:52 -0600
When I started all this I was concerned with how much force it would take
to actually shear a bolt across its diameter,  not by torquing (?) too
tight and twisting it in two.  did I use the proper term ??  And I also
don't see how threads could enter into the equation, they are totally
removed from the shear point which I'm assuming would be where the two
pieces being bolted together meet each other... right ???..  I'm no
engineering type person, so maybe I didn't ask the question correctly...
either way... I think I'm safe with 1/2 " hardware now

john