Re: No Start.

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, <super_racenut@juno.com>
Subject: Re: No Start.
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 10:25:34 -0500
Mmm, probably not.  Corroded copper, while reducing voltage, will almost always
allow a 12 volt car to start.

More likely is a poor contact.  Such as corrosion on the battery terminal
between the faces of the battery post and the clamp.

But you may also have a current drain that is killing the battery overnight.
You mention being able to start it yesterday, but not today, which is why I
mention the current drain.  Things like a dashboard light are the most likely
culprits.

>>> Steve Budde <super_racenut@juno.com> 01/23/02 07:36AM >>>

I have a basic electrical question and I'm looking for a logic check.  A
while ago my battery came lose and dipped over.  A bit of acid came out
and burned the battery cable insulation.  I was able to start it so I
basically forgot about it until now.  The reason is the fact that I can't
start it.  I put in a new starter and was able to get it going a couple
of time yesterday but this morning no go.  Could corrosion in the battery
cable not allow enough current to the starter to start the engine??  It
will engage I hear the solenoid and the gear hitting the flywheel but the
engine won't turn over.  I'm baffled and to broke to take it to a pro.
Any help is greatly appreciated.