Re: heated parts washer?

To: "Steven Trovato" <trovato@computer.net>,
Subject: Re: heated parts washer?
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 15:47:49 -0600
>I do remember a story about someone attempting arson by putting pots of
>gasoline on the stove.  Fire Department arrived to find boiling gasoline,
>but no fire.

My dad, a gas inspector for many years, told me that there is no mixture of
air and natural gas which can be ignited by a burning cigarette.  A striking
match or a spark from a light-switch, however, can trigger an explosion.

One of the sadder stories of his carreer:  A guy was found dying under a car
after having been blown through a window in a house.  He was rushed to a
hospital.  My dad found there was a gas-plate for cooking in the guy's
sleeping room, but it was valved off.  The mystery was solved when the guy
told nurses he had intended to commit suicide via gas.  Before he passed
out, he relented and decided he wanted to live.  He turned off the gas plate
and opened the window.  Then he scratched a match to have a cigarette.
After telling his story, he died of his injuries.

Funny stuff, fuels.  And, by extension, solvents.  Be careful out there.

Phil Ethier  West Side   Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
pethier@isd.net   http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.vtr2002.org