Re: used ENCO Mill-Drill - good deal?

To: Rex Burkheimer <rex@wmautomotive.com>
Subject: Re: used ENCO Mill-Drill - good deal?
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 08:43:55 -0800
On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 10:10:22AM -0600, Rex Burkheimer wrote:

> I'm going to look at an ENCO Mill Drill this week.  Don't know the model
> number, but the owner says it's equivalent to the current #105-1132. It's a
> benchtop model, comes with R-8 collets and lots of tooling. It has no power
> feeds on X-Y. 5" power travel on the quill. Asking price is $400.
>    My intended purpose is light-duty hobby work, probably mostly used for
> aluminum brackets on racecar projects. High precision will not be much of an
> issue.
>    Does this sound like a reasonable deal?  Any problem areas I should look
> for?

There's a mill-drill mailing list somewhere.

These machines often require some setup (cleaning
cosmoline and machining chips out of everything, setting
the gibs, etc).  If you're lucky, the seller did that already.
If not, you'll have to do it.

The bench top machines have one problem vs knee mills, that is
that when you move the head on the column, you have to re-align
("tram") the head.  And the table travel is smaller.

A set of R-8 collets, some mills, vice, hold-downs would cost at least
$200 if you buy the cheapest stuff.

You can get a power table feed for it.

If I ran into this, and it wasn't trashed, I'd buy it.
Even if it turns out to be too small, you could sell
it again for what you paid for it.  But I've only used
a Bridgeport in a machining class, so I might be full of it.

Eric