marking one's tools

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: marking one's tools
From: JNiolon@uss.com
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 07:31:34 -0600
Wayne,

I made a list with approx. value of all my major tools, stick welder, wire
welder, plasma cutter, oxy/acl rig, drill press etc..  I also have a
detailed list of all hand tools, wrenches, sockets, vice grips, etc.....
and number of each (three pages long single spaced).

I did a complete video inventory...pulled out every drawer and opened every
cabinet... with audio comments.
This is stored in my safe-deposit box with the video of the house and
grounds.  (got bored one day)

Most of my tools are unmarked and those that are, mostly have someone
else's marks on them from flea market purchases.  My thinking is that if
they are stolen, I've got a slim chance of finding them before they are
fenced and distributed thru several flea markets in the area...  and that's
why I have insurance.

After talking to my insurance agent,  he assured me that the video and list
will replace anything that I loose with new 'stuff'.  I did increase my
personal property portion of homeowners by an extra $20K to cover my truck
parts...and Hagerty's will soon write a policy on the truck itself...

I try to update the written list every 6 months or so...usually after
birthdays, Christmas and major purchases.  I also keep a journal of major
stuff I do around the house (new hardwood flooring, added storm doors, etc)
and purchases I've made...  It's helped several times with warranties and
replacement arguments...

The house and separate garage are double locked and alarmed on all access
points...

Hope this helps..

John