Re: Misc junk: welding to stainless, car jack pads, and

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Misc junk: welding to stainless, car jack pads, and
From: Steven Trovato <trovato@computer.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 20:58:28 -0500
>Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing wrote:
> >
> > So I finally got the nice Lincoln service jack that I've wanted for quite a
> > while.  Now that I have it though, I can't figure out a good way to use it
> > w/o possibly damaging the cars' undercarriages.  I could have sworn
> that the
> > jack I saw had something to lift a car by the pinch weld; looked sort
> of like
> > a plastic block with a slit in it, but the jack I got has a standard
> cup-like
> > lift pad.  Do you guys know what I'm talking about and where to get one?

I found the slit in the 2x4, deep enough to clear the pinch weld tends to
cause the wood to crack.  I have a couple of pieces, about a foot long
each, of hardwood flooring.  I set them both on the round pad, and run the
pinch weld between them.  The two pieces of wood can touch the car at
different angles, spreading out the force quite a bit.  If you insist on
the "official" version, Eastwood does carry it.  It's item 43042,
$19.99.  I don't think this is a plastic block, I think it's a steel piece
that replaces the regular jack saddle.  Of course, then when you want to
pick up the rear of a car by  putting the jack under the pumpkin, you have
to take off this new contraption and put back the old saddle.  Or keep two
jacks around.  I'll stick to the wood.

-Steve
trovato@computer.net