Re: Non LBC Radio Removal Help

To: Ronald Olds <tr6@pipeline.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Non LBC Radio Removal Help
From: David Cole <dgcole01@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 17:45:45 -0600
At 05:06 PM 12/20/2001 -0600, Ronald Olds wrote:

>I need to remove a factory radio from from a 98 Ford Windstar. The radio
>has four small holes in each corner of the face. I pushed allen wrenched in
>all four holes and the radio seemed to get loose but I couldn't get it out.
>Am I doing it the right way and not pulling hard enough or do i need to do
>something else? There isn't much to pull on and I am trying not to break
>anything. I appreciate any help I can get.
>
>Thanks and happy holidays to everyone!
>Ron Olds

The radio has spring clips that hold it in.  You can buy a set of removal
tools at Wal-Mart for less than $4.  Or you can make you own out of stiff
wire about the 3/4 diameter of the holes.   Take two pieces of wire about
7-8" long.  Bend each into a U shape with the legs about 1.5" apart (or the
distance between the top and bottom holes).   Grind a small V notch into
each leg.  Each notch goes about 1/3 the way through the wire.  The center
of the V is about 1/8 from the end of the legs and is about 1/8" long.  The
V notches catch the spring clips.   Insert the tools in the holes, one on
each side, at the same time, .  Push outward on the tools and pull the
radio out.  The tools push the spring clips to the side and the V-notch
catches the end of the clip so you can pull it out.

Later,

David Cole

///