Re: VIRUS warning

To: Phil Ethier <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: Re: VIRUS warning
From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 11:28:05 -0800
On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 07:06:36PM +0000, Phil Ethier wrote:

> >You may have received email from me Monday afternoon with one or more
> >attachments.
> >Delete it immediately, as it is a virus.    W32badtrans@mm is the name of
> >it.
> >
> >My apologies, it came from a trusted source and replicated very quickly.
>
> I think it came to me through Pat Washburn.  Luckily, I'm paranoid.   Please,
> folks, stop using address books in your mailers!

That won't help much, many of the worms root through the inbox
for addresses to send themselves to.

If you have not already done so, I would strongly recommend
setting your MS Outlook to not automatically run attachments.
(Tools->Options->Security->Zone settings->Custom level
and switch everything to either 'disable' or 'prompt'... and
don't trust the "marked as safe" stuff)

Better would be to not use Outlook at all if that is possible, as
its security is truly awful.  There are a number of free mail programs
that are superior to Outlook and lack its security holes.

Eric

///