Drilling Metal

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Drilling Metal
From: Steven Shipley <shiples@home.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 20:55:00 -0800
I needed to drill some quarter inch steel this past weekend and
I realized that I don't know much about drilling metal.  I had
previously asked my welding instructor and he told me to go buy
a Drill Doctor.  So I did.  And a new 3/8 bit.

  I was able to drill two holes before the bit was squealing
and chattering and my productivity dropped.  So I spent some
time sharpening the bit, and playing with RPMs and rate of feed
and finally was able to finish the job.

  So I was looking at my $40 HF drill press, my B&D drill, a
drawer full of dull and broken bits and realized that the tools
weren't very impressive, but I was probably the weakest link.

  I was considering a larger drill press (for the shop, of course)
but would really appreciate a discussion of drills, points, speed,
feed, and all the machinery that makes drills go 'round.  Oh yeah,
and some instruction.  Do I need a vise?

  I'd like to purchase some sort of reference, so book titles are
a start, but I'd also like to hear what listers are using for
their own projects.  If you were going to go shopping, and had
$100, $500, or $1000 what would be the best use of these budgets?

Thanks in advance
Steve Shipley
Seattle, WA

///