monarch lathe?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: monarch lathe?
From: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 15:02:17 -0400 (EDT)
I've stumbled across a (very) used monarch lathe locally.  the ways are
rusted, though it's just surface stuff.  no chuck, tooling etc.

soooo, after a search on the 'net (where I found lots of them for sale,
but none of the info I'm after), I thought I'd try y'all.

anybody know anything about the company, like where or if I can get
replacement parts?  I suspect in addition to the chuck it'll need a new
motor, and though that doesn't have to come from monarch I suppose, I'd
like to know what it started with.

this thing was built in 1946 and is pretty stout.  I've got a
'manufacturer's number' that doesn't pull as anything on google (long
shot, but still)

oh, and anybody with more experience wanna opine about the rust on it?  I
was tempted to just walk away--after all, this thing's gotta measure
accurately, but it rubs off on your hand pretty well.  it seems to be
frozen as well, maybe from rust but it could have just been locked in
position--I couldn't get around to tell.  if anybody's dealt with this
before, is this as bad as I think it is, or might I just clean it up and
go with it?  I figure since I'd be measuring off that wheel even a few
thousandths lost to rust would be a Bad Thing, but it's well true that I
know just enough to be dangerous.  I'm hoping a check with the
cognoscenti will clear me up.

tia

scott

///