Re: Tractors and Brit cars

To: <jmark.vanscoter@amd.com>, <msloane@att.net>
Subject: Re: Tractors and Brit cars
From: "Elton Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 15:04:45 -0500
Mark wrote:
\
>>> Well, please don't forget all the Ford Fergusens (actually, Fords using
the Fergusen system) that were built. The Ford 9N (1939), 2N (1942) and 8N
(1948) were all based on designs and patents owned by Harry F. Henry Ford II
"stiffed" Harry F when it came time to make the 8N and a lawsuit (won by
Harry F) ensued.<<<

Good call,  'cept the 8N was not a "Ford-Ferguson", it carried only the Ford
name.

Ford is twined throughout the Ferguson history .    It started when Ferguson
targeted the crude International tractors and plows that were used in
Ireland.  He thought there had to be a better method and his first design
was a plow for the "Eros" tractor conversion of the Ford Model "T"
automobile!  Ford, however, started making a crude tractor of their own
about this time (1917) which killed the Model "T" plow market.  Instead,
Ferguson started making plows for the new Ford tractor (Fordson) and he
built tools for Ford in the US and UK with various partners up until the
Fordson tractor "died" in 1928 upon which Ferguson concentrated on his hitch
system and hydraulics which became part of his own tractors.  When Ferguson
built the Model "A" tractor, Ford became interested and the famous
"handshake" agreement led to the 9N tractor which Ford build around the
Ferguson system.  (the 9N motor was half a Mercury V8 to save tooling cost
and had the same acursed steel cylinder sleeves)  Ford got greedy leading to
the lawsuit which Mark mentions.

>>> The post-war Fergusen tractor was (essentially) a dramatically improved
version of his older 9N design. In fact, technically it was far better than
the Ford 8N from all I have ever read or heard.<<<

Very much so:  better steering, better distributor, overhead valve
wet-sleeve engine rather than the sidevalve dry sleeve Ford.  It cooled far
better, the axles were not taper mounted, 4 speed trans rather than 3, etc.
Most dramatic was the broad range torque of the Ferguson engine compared to
the Ford.  The Ford lacked torque unless at full throttle while the Ferguson
would pull happily over the full range.

Tony_______________________@Sherman.Texas

///