Re: ?Auto Factory Tours?

To: Brian Reynolds <reynolds@ll.mit.edu>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ?Auto Factory Tours?
From: Erik Quackenbush <erik@midwestfilter.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 10:11:50 -0500
I've been through the GM plant in Janesville WI where they make Suburbans
and Yukons. I believe this is the oldest GM facility that's still in use.
The place is big and to my eye had equal parts machine and human assembly
steps. The bodies are all welded by robot but the wiring harnesses and
interior bits are all put in by people.

It's a union plant which meant the plant engineer I was with was not
permitted to draw a liquid sample from the system we were looking at. He
had to call a union pipe fitter to come wrench open the plug for us. The
upside? The plant engineer wasn't allowed to clean up the spill either. ;{)

Most of the plant is a 'hard hat' area so I don't think they give tours to
the general public.

-Erik
--
Erik Quackenbush, V.P. Operations, Midwest Filter Corporation
1-847-680-0566 fax: 1-847-680-0832 http://www.midwestfilter.com

///