grade 8 vrs 5 confusion...more detail

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: grade 8 vrs 5 confusion...more detail
From: JNiolon@uss.com
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 12:47:10 -0500
Tim,

maybe some more detail will help...  what was there originally ???   leaf
springs on 50 year old suspension..

this is a modification to a '53 f-100... all rear suspension has been
fabricated from scratch.  the mounting plates on the frame crossmember and
the axle housing ar 3/16" plate. On the axle end there is an upper and
lower connection from the ladder bar to the axle housing... A 3/4" heim (?)
joint slips between two mounting plates and is cross bolted...  on the
front end there is only one heim joint cross bolted in the same fashion.
3/4" grade 8 hardware is in place now.

I'm assuming from your description that this is a double shear condition,
but I can't imagine the amount of torque that would shear one OR TWO 3/4"
grade 8 bolts especially considering there is no slop in the mounting holes
and all is bolted down tight.

thanks
john

like old ford trucks ???  visit my website at  http:// jniolon.clubfte.com