Re: Grade 5 vs. 8

To: <LBC286@aol.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Grade 5 vs. 8
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 10:39:41 -0400
The times you absolutely want to use a weaker bolt are when you want the bolt
to fail before the part its bolted to fails.  An example of that would be on a
plowshare
used to till the earth.  Plow bolts are soft so that if the plowshare hits a
large rock
the bolt breaks and the plowshare is undamaged (kinda expensive).  You then
remove the rock and bolt the plowshare back on.

The other times I can think of to use a milder (cheaper) bolt are when the are
not necessary.  For example, it would be silly overkill to use grade 8 bolts to
hold the radio in, or to bolt the glovebox door on with.  In that case, a very
mild fastener would be perfectly adequate.

To that end, there are fasteners that are phenomenally expensive, and
far stronger then mere grade 8, but aren't used because grade 8 is strong
enough, and the expense isn't worthwhile.

>>> <LBC286@aol.com> 09/25 9:41 AM >>>

OK, here goes the bolt strength thread (no pun intended) again.

On another list there is a heated discussion about using all grade 8 bolts on
restoring a car.  Can anyone give me a simple explanation as to why it may or
may not be a good idea to replace grade 5 with grade 8?

Part deux:  What about Bowmalloy bolts, from Bowman?  They are higher
strength than grade 8, according to Bowman.  Anybody know about these?

///