Re: Paint removal, wood house trim

To: Shop-Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Paint removal, wood house trim
From: Brian Reynolds <reynolds@ll.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 10:48:09 -0400
If you have a *LOT* of paint to strip, check out the :
Porter-Cable Paint Remover #PO7403 between $180 - $200
6" Tungsten Carbide disc   About $8 each.

I have been TOTALLY stripping my house (1 side per year).
It is a small house. It is averaging about 40 hrs each side to strip it.
It gets very heavy, quickly. You NEED goggles & a mask.
It was designed to be used with clappboards. I took off the guides and
have been using it on cedar shingles. I believe it would do a nice job by
itself on clappboard But it left a circular pattern on the cedar shingles (no
guide in place).
I went over it with a belt sander to clean it up.

The discs are metal so they don't rip. They do clog up over time.
I think I used 4 or 5 discs per side (36 grit ).

It is very dusty and a lot of work but I think that it is less work than other
methods.

Hope this helps, Brian.

> What's a good way to remove the old stuff before applying new stuff?

> Belt sander, heat gun, pressure washer, chemicals, or ??

///